THE 99 THINGS MEME
Edit 3/1 09: My trusted friend and loyal reader Gabs wondered why I didn’t give a source for this Meme. And with good reason, for don’t I always go on about sources and source criticism? The truth is that I stumbled over this while doing research for my paper on Library 2.0, C/P’d it and forgot where I found it. But of course – after being nudged by Gabs I tried another way of finding it and this time I located my source. It is American librarian David King. In fact I found out that several of my other sources have also been tempted by the 99 things meme. See here and here! Another bit of research brought me to an extremely interesting book and several scientific papers about The Strength of Weak Ties. It’s a theory developed by sociologist Mark Granovetter in 1973! He investigated the importance of so-called weak ties – i.e. aquaintances – and more or less proved that weak ties play a considerably larger role when we look for a new job, or for a person with specific qualifications than do our strong ties (friends & family). Worth thinking about when considering LinkedIn, Facebook or the way a meme travels from blog to blog!
Things you’ve already done: bold
Things you want to do: italicize
Things you haven’t done and don’t want to – leave in plain font
1. Started your own blog. (what a dumb question for a blog meme!!!)
2. Slept under the stars.
3. Played in a band. (does ONCE count?)
4. Visited Hawaii.
5. Watched a meteor shower.
6. Given more than you can afford to charity.
7. Been to Disneyland/world. (Not again)
8. Climbed a mountain. (a little one…)
9. Held a praying mantis.
10. Sang a solo. (I’m trying to forget this)
11. Bungee jumped.
12. Visited Paris.
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea. (why not on land? – because I have and it was scary but beautiful)
14. Taught yourself an art from scratch. (I guess beginner’s level of origami doesn’t really count?)
15. Adopted a child.
16. Had food poisoning.
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty.
18. Grown your own vegetables.
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France.
20. Slept on an overnight train.
21. Had a pillow fight.
22. Hitch hiked. (When I was young I didn’t know any other way, when the distance was to far for cycling!)
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill.
24. Built a snow fort.
25. Held a lamb. Can’t remember if I have. My uncle had a farm when I was little…)
26. Gone skinny dipping. (I was quite young and the lovely weather came as a surprise…)
27. Run a marathon.
28. Ridden a gondola in Venice.
29. Seen a total eclipse.
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset.
31. Hit a home run.
32. Been on a cruise.
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person.
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors.
35. Seen an Amish community.
36. Taught yourself a new language.
37.Had enough money to be truly satisfied.
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person.
39. Gone rock climbing.
40. Seen Michelangelo’s David in person.
41. Sung Karaoke. (Never. NEVER)
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt.
43. Bought a stranger a meal in a restaurant.
44. Visited Africa.
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight.
46. Been transported in an ambulance.
47. Had your portrait painted. (I’d like to have a double portrait of me and hubby. By this painter.)
48. Gone deep sea fishing.
49. Seen the Sistine chapel in person.
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling.
52. Kissed in the rain.
53. Played in the mud.
54. Gone to a drive-in theater.
55. Been in a movie.
56. Visited the Great Wall of China.
57. Started a business.
58. Taken a martial arts class
59. Visited Russia.
60. Served at a soup kitchen.
61. Sold Girl Scout cookies.
62. Gone whale watching.
63. Gotten flowers for no reason. (no such thing as “flowers for no reason”…)
64. Donated blood.
65. Gone sky diving.
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp.
67. Bounced a check. (that’s a bit embarrassing isn’t it. See 57)
68. Flown in a helicopter. (see 79)
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy.
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial.
71. Eaten Caviar.
72. Pieced a quilt.
73. Stood in Times Square.
74. Toured the Everglades. (But the swamps in Louisiana…)
75. Been fired from a job. (more than once. Not good with bosses…)
76. Seen the Changing of the Guard in London.
77. Broken a bone.
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle.
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person.
80. Published a book.
81. Visited the Vatican.
82. Bought a brand new car. (but my husband has)
83. Walked in Jerusalem.
84. Had your picture in the newspaper.
85. Read the entire Bible.
86. Visited the White House.
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating.
88. Had chickenpox.
89. Saved someone’s life.
90. Sat on a jury.
91. Met someone famous.
92. Joined a book club.
93. Lost a loved one.
94. Had a baby. 2…
95. Seen the Alamo in person.
96. Swum in the Great Salt Lake.
97. Been involved in a law suit. (See 57)
98. Owned a cell phone.
99. Been stung by a bee.